Notice of Voluntary Water Curtailment
Posted by City Hall on Aug 5, 2021
This article will take 2 minutes to read
When: Effective August 5 at 11:00 AM
Where: All City of Vernonia Water Customers
Why: A water shortage emergency condition exists in the City of Vernonia due to a decreased stream flow in Rock Creek to 14cfs (cubic feet per second) or less, as verified by water flow gauges on Rock Creek. The Vernonia City Council acknowledges that during such times of low stream flow, the ordinary demands and requirements of water consumers cannot be satisfied without depleting the water supply of the City to the extent that there would be insufficient water for human consumption, sanitation, fire protection and aquatic life protection.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that in order to conserve the water supply for the greatest public benefit, The City of Vernonia is requesting the voluntary curtailment of the following consumption of water during drought conditions:
Requesting Voluntary Reduction of Sprinkling and Watering
The use of water to sprinkle, water, or irrigate any shrubbery, trees, lawns, grass, ground covers, plants, vines, gardens, vegetables, flowers, or any other vegetation.
Requesting Voluntary Reduction in Nonessential Residential Water Use.
- The use of water to wash any motorbike, motor vehicle, boat, trailer, airplane, or other vehicle, except when such water is used at a commercial fixed washing facility that utilizes water recycling equipment;
- The use of water to wash down any sidewalk, walkway, driveway, parking lot, tennis court, or other hard-surfaced area, or any building or structure;
- The use of water to fill, refill, or add to any indoor or outdoor swimming pool or jacuzzi pool, except for the following: neighborhood fire control purposes, where the pool has a recycling water system and evaporative cover, or where the use of the pool is required by a medical doctor’s prescription; and
- The use of water in a fountain or pond for aesthetic or scenic purposes, except where necessary to support aquatic life.
Requesting Voluntary Reduction in Nonessential Commercial or Industrial Use
- Serving City water for drinking at a restaurant, hotel, cafe, cafeteria, or other public place where food is sold, served, or offered for sale, to any person unless requested by such person;
- The use of water for scenic or recreational ponds and lakes, except for the minimum amount required to support aquatic life;
- The use of water from hydrants for construction purposes, fire drills, or any purpose other than fire-fighting;
- The use of water by a golf course to irrigate any portion of its grounds except those areas designated as tees and greens; and
- The use of water for dust control.
SAID WATER CURTAILMENT MEASURES shall be in effect until stream flow has increased above trigger levels for a continuous 24 hours as verified by the Rock Creek water gauge or Water Resources Department. Mandatory curtailment will be required if these measures do not sufficiently reduce water usage by 20% within 14 days OR if water levels decrease in Rock Creek to a level at or below 12cfs.