Requirements and Exemptions
It shall be unlawful for any person to transact or cause to be transacted any business without having first obtained a license for such business from the City of Vernonia (Ordinance No. 867).
It is required that a business license be obtained by the owner, partner or operator of the business. However, if the employees, agents or representatives of a person who has no regular place of business within the City engage in business within the City, they shall be responsible for compliance.
The following persons are exempt from license requirements:
- Persons whom the City is prohibited from licensing under the constitution or laws of the United States, the constitution or laws of the State of Oregon, or the Charter or ordinances of the City.
- Wholesaler selling or delivering goods to merchants of the City for the purpose of resale. This exclusion pertains only if the wholesaler does not maintain a place of business within the City and also does not engage in retail trade within the City.
- Persons engaged in delivery of goods and services from points outside the City, providing sales contacts and actual sales take place outside the City.
- Newspaper carriers.
- Representatives of public utilities.
- Garage sales, yard sales and other similar activities. Such exclusion shall not apply, however, if the sale has a duration of more than seventy-two consecutive hours.
- The sale of personal assets such as a personal automobile, residence, appliances or other items. Such exclusion shall not apply when such sales are conducted on a regular and continuing basis.
- The operation of a display space, booth or table maintained for displaying or selling merchandise at any trade show, convention, festival, fair, circus, market, flea market, swap meet or similar event for less than seven (7) days in any current year.
Businesses with registered address within City Limits: $60/year or $30/6 months.
Businesses with registered address outside City Limits: $80/year or $40/6 months.
Submit application with a check or money order via mail, for same week processing. The license will be mailed out the same day as processed.
Bring applications to City Hall, for same day processing. We accept cash, check, money order, Visa, American Express, Discover and MasterCard.
Please mail your application(s) to:
City of Vernonia
Attn: Business License
1001 Bridge Street
Vernonia, OR 97064