Public Works Utility Worker Position Open
Posted by City Hall on Jan 6, 2020
This article will take 2 minutes to read
Public Works Utility Worker
Salary: $16.00 - $18.00 Hourly
Job Type: Full Time
Closing: February 14, 2020
Hours are 7:30am – 4:00pm Monday - Friday with rotating weekend shifts and on-call duty. Must reside within 30 minute response time for emergency call out.
The principal function of an employee in this position is to maintain and repair all infrastructure for the City of Vernonia. This includes water treatment and distribution systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, park facilities and streets. The nature of the work performed requires that the employee establishes and maintain effective working relationships with fellow staff and the public. This is a non-exempt, non-union position.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK
- Performs general labor and skilled public works maintenance activities such as, but not limited to, cleaning and inspecting of pipelines, sweeping, earthwork, public infrastructure construction, installing, leveling, compacting, and maintaining asphalt and concrete, waterline construction and testing, and other utility labor.
- Operate small to medium size construction equipment and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Responding to work orders related to customer utilities as well as city facilities.
- Basic knowledge of the methods and techniques of general construction, maintenance and repair related to public works
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance, construction and repair work in the area of work assigned and assist or participate with other Utility Worker in related areas.
- Requires computer skills to access and print maps and other printed material and to store field data.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid drivers license with ability to attain CDL
- Certification in water or wastewater within 18 months of hire
- Pesticide application certification (or ability to acquire within 12 months of hire)
- To work as part of a team and independently
- Demonstrate courteous customer relations
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- To work with staff on a rotating basis for on-call and weekend duties
- Read and follow the guidelines of the Personel Policies Handbook
Please review full job description prior to submitting application
Resume and application must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted to City Hall by end of the business day on February 14, 2020 to be considered for interview.