Employment Opportunity - Facilities Maintenance/Cemetery Caretaker
Posted by City Hall on Mar 23, 2021
This article will take 2 minutes to read
The City of Vernonia is currently looking for qualified individuals to fill a Facilities Maintenance/Cemetery Caretaker position in Vernonia, Oregon. This full-time position will work independently, while coordinating with City Staff, to maintain City facilities and Vernonia Memorial Cemetery.
What You Will Do in Your Facilities Maintenance Role
- Building maintenance, including carpentry, minor plumbing & electrical, painting, and general repairs.
- Identifying plumbing and electrical issues which require a licensed professional and coordinating contracted work with the City’s financial director and the contractor.
- Developing and managing a scheduled maintenance plan for regular maintenance activities, including window washing and gutter cleaning.
- Grounds maintenance of City Hall and Vernonia Public Library.
- Work with City Staff to schedule and perform additional tasks and projects.
- Research project materials, costs, and timeframes; and submit proposals for the project.
- Develop a procedure and framework for City Staff to submit work requests.
What You Will Do in Your Cemetery Caretaker Role
- Maintain the cemetery grounds, including mowing, weed eating, weed control and biomass removal.
- Maintain the cemetery shop and equipment in working order.
- Perform cremation internments, including service setup, interacting with public and funeral directors.
- Work on additional cemetery projects as needed.
- Expect to spend up to 30 hours per week on grounds maintenance in late spring/early summer.
The Personal Skills You Have
- Mechanically inclined.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent communicator.
- Independent problem solver.
- Desire to learn and apply new skills.
The Experience and Qualifications You Will Bring
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Oregon driver’s license.
- Experience in building trades and/or grounds maintenance.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Associates Degree or Apprenticeship in a relevant field
- Two (2) plus years experience in a professional facilities maintenance role
- Certification in pesticide/herbicide application
- Military Service
About the Job
Type: Part to Full Time (at least 20 hours per week, up to 40)
Schedule: Generally, Monday-Friday, hours will be flexible dependent upon workload. Occasional availability for funeral services on the weekends.
Location: On-site in Vernonia, Oregon.
Rate of Pay: $15 – $17 per hour, depending on experience, with benefits.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the City of Vernonia Employment Application Here
Submit your application with:
a. Cover letter and resume.
b. Address each of the personal skills listed in the Personal Skills You Have section of this posting, e.g., assessment of yourself, examples of how you have applied those skills in your work or personal life, etc.
- Application packages may be dropped off at City Hall or emailed to Financial@vernonia-or.gov