Public Notice - City Hall Offices Closed to Address COVID-19 Concerns
Posted by City Hall on Mar 13, 2020
This article will take 2 minutes to read
Based on recent recommendations from the State of Oregon and Oregon public health experts, the City of Vernonia is implementing the following measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Vernonia:
- Local City of Vernonia government buildings and offices will be closed to the general public. This includes Vernonia City Hall, the Vernonia Public Library, Vernonia Public Works offices, the Vernonia Police Department lobby. The Vernonia City Council and management team will evaluate continued office closures on a weekly basis.
- Vernonia police officers and Vernonia public works crews will continue to respond to emergency calls. For non-emergency contact dispatch at 503-397-1521. In the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
- Until further notice, City of Vernonia utility accounts will not receive a late fee this month and will not be disconnected for non-payment.
- New construction or permits that require larger plans may be submitted electronically during this time to email@example.com. Building/Electrical permit forms are available at www.vernonia-or.gov.
- Columbia County Justice Court will be closed to the general public. If you had a previously schedule court appearance, please contact Court staff at 503-429-2441 to be rescheduled or make a phone conference with the judge. Court fine payments can be made online at www.co.columbia.or.us click on Pay Online icon, click on Traffic Tickets icon, enter citation number.
- Vernonia citizens are encouraged to use the utility payment portal option for making utility billing payments. Payments may also be made over the phone by calling 503-429-5291, ext.101 during regular business hours.
- Limited City staff will continue to work while offices remain closed to the public. If you have a question for a staff member, City staff are available through email and telephone. A staff directory can be found on the City’s website at www.vernonia-or.gov
- All City Committee and Commission meetings scheduled over the next three weeks have been canceled.
- The City is evaluating moving all previously scheduled City Council meetings to a virtual meeting platform. City Council does not intend to discuss the COVID-19. Meeting details will be released Monday, March 16th, 2020 regarding how upcoming meetings can be attended. Public comment is suspended for these meetings. All other City boards and commission meetings scheduled over the next three weeks have been canceled.
Updates regarding impacts to local government will be posted at: www.vernonia-or.gov
If you have general questions about the coronavirus, more information can be found at:
Call 2-1-1 for general questions.
Visit the Oregon Health Authority’s (OHA) website for the most current information in Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/DISEASESAZ/Pages/emerging-respiratory-infections.aspx
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html