Ordinance No. 914
An ordinance regulating smoking and inhalant delivery devices in City of Vernonia Parks
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Vernonia finds that regulating smoking and inhalant delivery devices in city parks creates a healthy and safe environment for Vernonia residents, visitors, youth, and children;
WHEREAS, these regulations will protect residents and visitors from secondhand smoke, ensures equal access to parks for people with asthma and respiratory conditions, and helps people breathe clean air;
WHEREAS, these regulations will reduce the exposure of children and youth to smoking and tobacco use and therefore protects their health and discourages them from starting a harmful habit that is difficult to quit;
WHEREAS, these regulations will protect parks and natural areas from environmental degradation caused by the littering of cigarette butts and other smoking related waste;
WHEREAS, these regulations will protect parks and natural areas from potential risk of fires;
WHEREAS, these regulations will support individuals who are trying to quit smoking or tobacco use or have already quit; and
WHEREAS, these regulations will not alienate citizens who smoke from accessing city parks;
NOW, THEREFORE, THE CITY OF VERNONIA ORDAINS AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. [Definitions.]
- 1. “Smoking” means inhaling or exhaling from any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe, or any other lighted or heated tobacco or plant product, or inhaling or exhaling vapor from any electronic delivery device. Smoking shall include carrying a lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe, or any other lighted or heated tobacco or plant product intended for inhalation.
- 2. “Inhalant delivery device” means a device that can be used to deliver nicotine or cannabinoids in the form of a vapor or aerosol to a person inhaling from the device. It also includes a component of a device described in this subparagraph or a substance in any form sold for the purpose of being vaporized or aerosolized by a device described in this subparagraph whether the component or substance is sold separately or is not sold separately.
- 3. “Inhalant delivery device” includes any such devices, whether they are manufactured, distributed, marketed or sold as c-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, or under any other product name or descriptor.
- 4. “Designated Smoking Area” means an outdoor area where smoking is permitted, which must be at least 25 feet from any building or play structure. Designated smoking areas are to be clearly defined with signage and trash receptacle. Smoking is only allowed within the boundaries of the designated area and within the confines of personal property (cars, boats, campers, RV’s and individual campground spaces that have been rented).
- 5. “Smoke free Zone” means the area within 50 feet of playground equipment, sports fields, public restrooms or food preparation areas where smoking is prohibited.
- 6. A “Park” is:
- a. Any land owned by the City of Vernonia which is zoned public recreation (PR). City parks include: Airport Park, Anderson Park, Hawkins Park, Ora Bolmeier Park, Shay Park, Spencer park, and Vernonia Lake.
Section 2. [Smoking and Inhalant Delivery Device Regulations.]
- 1. No person shall smoke or use inhalant delivery devices in any form in any City Park where smoking is prohibited.
- a) Parks where smoking and inhalant delivery devices are prohibited are: Ora Bolmeier and Shay Park (excluding the park parking lots adjacent to Maple Street and Adams Avenue.)
- 2. For parks with designated smoking areas, no person shall smoke or use inhalant delivery devices in any form except in designated smoking areas provided.
- a) Parks with designated smoking areas: Hawkins Park and Spencer Park
- 3. For parks with smoke free areas no person shall smoke within 50 feet of any playground equipment, sp01is fields, public restrooms or food preparation areas.
- a) Parks with smoke free areas are: Anderson Park, Airport Park, Hawkins Park, Spencer Park, and Vernonia Lake
- 4. This policy shall be in effect at all times, including during all festivals, concerts, or similar public events occurring on all Park property.
Section 3. [Exemption for Campsites.]
Notwithstanding the prohibition in Section 2, Smoking and tobacco use is allowed in designated campsites located within a park.
Section 4. [Enforcement.]
- 1. Appropriate signs to communicate the smoke and inhalant delivery device policy shall be posted in all parks.
- 2. Park user agreements shall contain appropriate language regarding smoke and inhalant delivery device regulations to advise facility users.
- 3. Any person found violating this policy will receive a verbal warning to stop such use immediately. If the smoking or tobacco use continues, the person may be immediately ejected from the park.
Section 5. [Effective Date.]
Under the provisions of the City of Vernonia Charter of 1998, Chapter VIII, Section 32, the provisions of th is ordinance shall become effective on the thirtieth (30th) day after its adoption and authentication.
Section 6. [Recorder’s Duties.]
The City Recorder is hereby directed, upon adoption and authentication, to number this ordinance as the next adopted ordinance of the City of Vernonia.
Ayes: 4 Nays: 0 Abstain: 0 Abssent: 1
Adopted: 2017-11-06 Effective: 2017-12-05
Signed: Mario P. Leonetti, Mayor Attest: Stephanie Borst, City Recorder